BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply for a temporary exemption notice

This form should be used to inform the Council of a licensable property that currently does not hold a license but you are taking particular steps which will exempt the property from requiring a license.

The form should be completed by the person in control of or managing the private rented property which is required to be licensed. A separate form must be completed for every property that requires a temporary exemption.

If your application is approved, a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) will be issued which will exempt the premises from licensing for three months.

In certain exceptional circumstances, the temporary exemption can be extended for a further three months. After that, there is no power to exempt the premises and the property must be licensed (if the property still remains licensable). The landlord must advise the council if an extension is required before the expiry of the first temporary exemption notice.